Sunday, February 14, 2010

In The Name of Love

I'll be honest with you, Valentine's Day is not my favorite holiday. Now, before you stop reading or start prepping for the "typical" Single Girl Valentine's Day Rant - I know you're expecting it, don't try and pretend you're not - let me explain.

I love love. I do. I really, really do. I readily, and without any hesitation, tell people in my life how much I love them, how much they mean to me in any and all capacities, and I sign off most written text with an "xo" because I really, truly, have a genuine love for a lot of people in my life - I mean, that's why they're in it in the first place, right? Who keeps people around that they don't care for? Not me. So, the "xo." Basically, if I was talking to them in person, I'd totally give them a hug and a kiss. Cheek-kiss, I mean; I'm no floozy. Ahem. Others may beg to differ. Pay them no mind.

Anyway.

Last night, I was kind of in a funk. I was feeling overly contemplative, stuck at work, and stuck in life. Like I said... overly contemplative. Anyway, so, last night, when in this funk - do you know what I wanted most in the whole wide world? A hug. A giant, arms-wrapped-around-me, catch-my-breath-in-my-throat, eyes-closed, gut-squishing hug. You know the kind. The kind of hug that makes you feel safe. Loved. The kind of hug that trades sadness for the force of someone's arms wrapped clear around you - their fingertips touching on the other side.


I'm a hugger. What can I say? I got it from my mom. She is one of the most affectionate, loving people I know, and I grew up with hugs. And, now, much like a hand running over and over again through my hair and over my cheek makes me calm down and fall asleep, hugging makes me feel okay when I feel not-so-okay. And, on a rainy day I crave popcorn - 'cause that's what my mom always did. These are the traditions that I was brought up to appreciate. And, loving people was one of them.

So, what's my issue with Valentine's Day if I love love so much? Valid question. Allow me to explain.

I share love on the daily. I don't expect anything in return - except most people, when you say "I love you," don't not say anything back. Unless they're not nice people. And, if that's the case, I probably didn't say "I love you" in the first place. So. There you go.

So, what I don't love about this day is that you're supposed to say "I love you" to someone. The obligatory "I love you" is, for me, a lot of pressure for an emotion that's supposed to be organic, uncontrollable, and purely selfless. I mean, do you have a Valentine on Valentine's Day because you couldn't possibly, on any other day besides February 14th, have told this person that you love them? No. You have a Valentine on February 14th because corporate America tells you that that's the day you're supposed to love someone. That's the day that diamonds will mean more, roses will smell better, and chocolates will taste better because they come out of a heart-shaped box.

You Love on February 14th because it's "better" that way. In the name of red and pink and Hallmark and hearts and roses, you love someone.

Love me today, love me tomorrow, love me yesterday. I don't need a Valentine because my heart's exploding already. I'm the luckiest girl in the whole wide world. And, if you think about it - probably not even all that hard - I'm sure you'll realize that with every heartbeat today, tomorrow or the next day, you love someone and someone loves you. And that makes you the luckiest person in the whole wide world.

So, tell them today, and tell them every day. And feel your heart get all cozy and your smile get wider and wider and just be happy.

I don't love Valentine's Day because it's a dictated, obligatory celebration of something I think should be respected every day. Not just one.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post a lot, but I would take it a bit further.

    I think we live in a time and culture that fears, and maybe even frowns upon, the kind of expressions of love that you're talking about. In fact, I think a lot of people react to love in much the same way that they react to other social or cultural "institutions"; think about the way that people react to religion for example, the God question...and then think about the way people react to the concept of true, unabashed no-holds-barred love.

    We're equally fearful in committing to what cannot be proved empirically because we live in the most empirical age in the history of the human race.

    So, maybe that's why something like Valentine's Day persists despite the fact that we all know it's just a contrived corporate marketing technique. For one day every year, love is safe and can be personified by cardboard hearts filled with chocolate, glittering jewelry, and the dewy sentimentalism of a romantic comedy. When you play love by the empirical rules, everybody gets a gift and nobody gets hurt.

    It's love with all the fear removed, ditto for the adventure, heartbreak, hard work, self-doubt, soul-doubt, and intense, immense, crushing want.

    It's love the easy way, like going Church on Christmas and Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you both hit the mark on this one.
    i'm with you katie on being filled with love.
    i absolutely feel like there are many people who "judge" me for being mushy gushy and lovey dovey. my friends in va actually nicknamed me the "kindergartener on crack" because i get so excited to see them that i jump up and down and giggle and scream. and you know, it took me a while to get here- but i love that nickname. i love that when people think of me, they think of a happy, loving person. even if they think i'm silly for being so lovey.
    and i agree with eric about why vday might be lasting so long. because people feel safe saying their "i love yous" on the one day dedicated to showing emotions.
    and that is so sad to me.
    really sad.
    i'm so glad that you're bursting with love katie. that makes you a great person.
    and katie and eric- on the day after valentines day, i want you both to know i love you a whole lot!!!! hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete