Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Do... Maybe

This past weekend, my brother tied the knot. To be completely honest, I was dreading the wedding (ha), but my cynical expectations were dashed with near-immediacy and I actually had an awesome time. I am now willing to amend my previous rant regarding the stupidity of marriage; I would like, instead, to say that it is not marriage that is stupid, it is those who marry for the wrong reasons that are stupid. So, an apology to my wonderful, happily married friends, and congratulations... may I someday be as lucky as you.

Moving on.

Highlights from the weekend include the following:

I met a very nice boy who likes stick figures and abhors odd numbers. This may sound completely arbitrary to most, but to me it sounds lovely. I'm a happy girl.

There was an impromptu sing-along featuring Leaving on A Jet Plane which was led in no small part by a rather boisterous German man, while six or seven of us sat around the designated Cigar Smoking Table by the pool. A surreal moment indeed.

I fell down. Tumbled. Took a knee. Bit it. However you want to put it - yes. I fell down in front of the majority of my immediate family at a very nice Italian restaurant. It was due in part to a decent amount of wine and one extremely tall pair of wedges, which brings me to my next revelation, which is that this is exactly the reason that I hate wearing high heels. Keep me in flip flops, flats, or, at best, barefoot. Please. That way I remain stable. Now, I have a skinned and bruised knee.

In other news:

I'm reading, at my mother's suggestion, Malcom Gladwell's Outliers and have come to wonder that perhaps every occurrence of success or tradgedy is in fact brought about a preceding number of coincidences that, unless happening in that very same way in that very same order, would never produce the exact same result as they do. It's a hopeful and troubling thought. One that I'm beginning to think might be true.

I'm beginning to see the coincidences more clearly now... or is it just that I'm looking too closely?

B has decided to move out. She's moving in with the boyfriend. I'm not yet freaking out - I'm trying to see the coincidence factor in this (perhaps a door will open I didn't know existed previously... perhaps).

Expect freak out to commence sometime soon, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment