Friday, June 12, 2009

Police and Thieves

On Monday my house was broken into, and I'm not sure anything will be the same ever again.

Unfortunately for you, I don't have the energy to retell the story yet again, so I'm giving you the very abridged version:

It was 12:30pm, B left for lunch, came home one hour later. They cut holes in the screen of my kitchen window, which they reached by standing on a bird bath in my neighbor's yard. They stole 2 laptops, three laptop charge cables, one iPod USB cable, one digital camera & the entirity of my grandmother's and great grandmother's jewelry. They put it all in a small suitcase of mine and left by the back door.

More than the physical losses that we endured, I have now lost complete control over my anxiety and paranoia regarding my living alone in the house. Yes, I have a roommate, but she doesn't sleep at home. Yes, I have a landlord living upstairs, who happens to be a close family friend, but he doesn't sleep at home. Both of them spend 6 nights a week at their boyfriend/girlfriend's house. It's wretched. Not only do I feel alone and vulnerable, but decidedly single as well.

And, this weather is gross.

3 comments:

  1. i am so sorry katie. let me know if i can do anything. maybe some of us from class can take security shifts outside of your house? i don't mean to sound flippant. seriously, let me know if i can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin, that's really nice of you! I've gotten so many offers from people who want to stake out my house, I'm thinking about starting a malitia. I'll let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, that really sucks...it is definitely a violation of not only your home and property but your own sense of safety... all you can hope for is that the bastard(s) will contract some kind of flesh-eating virus and will then get their nuts ripped off by a wolverine...

    ReplyDelete