Tuesday, May 26, 2009

From My Bad Day to My Blog: How It All Began

Today, while looking for an important document in my very organized and thoroughly firesafe (ahem, right) Shoebox of Important Documents, I found something my mother passed on to me a while ago for safe keeping: the first book I ever wrote.

Copyright circa 1988, this testimonial to my general, ever-present paranoia about getting hurt, which apparently began in early childhood, tells the story of Elizabeth & her bad day. The day is full of pain and suffering when Elizabeth attempts to do kid-like things such as swinging and riding a bike.

I particularly love that my mother wrote the first sentence, "Hi my name is Elizabeth," and then surrendered the pencil to me, which riddles the remainder of the story with poor spelling and grammar, that Elizabeth leaves on a stretcher on the last page, and that she is ecstatic because her mother has allowed her to "walk barefooted."

So, here you are, readers: "My Bad Day, Written + Illistrated by Katherine Newport"



1 comment: