Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mama

It's Mother's Day. The day that used to mean that my sister and I struggled through a pancake or muffin recipe and "surprised" my mother with breakfast in bed. (I think two kids banging pots and pans for forty five minutes kind of gave it away before we showed up with the tray.) The day that used to mean that I'd fashion a card or - one in year particular - a Mother's Day Coupon Book. (Items in the book included watching my sister "free of charge" and cleaning out her car.)

This year, like the past few, it means I call my mother and we talk on the phone, or it means that she's comes down to visit and I take her out to brunch. We do grown up things now. Maybe because I grew up or maybe because she's so far away. It's not as easy as it once was.

But it's still pretty easy.

The hard part is knowing that there are friends of mine who celebrate this Mother's Day without their mother.

Four of my friends go without her. One day after another, time passes and and remarkably they get stronger with each one. Some have had more time than others. But still, I'm sure for each of them, today is especially hard.

I feel lucky. Not simply because I have the mom that I have. (Though she is great.) But more so because I've seen something in my friends that makes me humbled to have her. And I'm happy to know my friends who are strong, incredible people with so much loss in their hearts today, that I can't help but feel it in my own.

Today I called my mother and when she didn't answer, I left a message. In a little while, I will go to work, put on an apron and serve brunch, lunch and dinner to a multitude of mothers, grandmothers, and children until later tonight when my shift is over and I'm finally able to sit down and relax and then I'll pick up the phone to see if she returned my call.

She will have.

My thoughts will be with those who are still waiting.

k.

No comments:

Post a Comment