Friday, May 15, 2009

Out Came the Sun

Every Friday morning, it rains. Every Friday morning, I walk into the office thinking, "I'm glad it's raining while I'm in here." I work on my computer, the one that faces away from the window, and I hear the pitter patter of droplets on the roof, and I congratulate myself on not missing anything like a sunny afternoon or a walk around the park.

And then, just as I'm about to conclude my half-day of office work, the clouds part and the sun starts inching through and before I know it - it's a beautiful sunny day.

Today was no exception.

I have some luck with weather, I swear.

Needless to say, since the weather runs the gamut during my Friday's, I get two of my favorite things:

1. The smell of spring rain. Before I duck my head into the car and speed away to the office, I inhale deeply; a smell like wet soil and growing grass mixed with the slightly deadened scent of lilac and cherry tree. It's a good one. If I could bottle it, I would.

2. The sun, drying things off. I roll down the windows, take a deep breath of fresh air, and resist the urge to grin as I drive home; a smell like dry pavement, sun, and heat mixed with subtle violet, dandelion and tree bark.

And in my backyard, things are still dew-dropped, the remnant evidence of this morning still lingering on bared leaves. But the buds are open, the petals sunning themselves, triumphant.

I love spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment