Saturday, July 4, 2009

Addiction

I can't stop listening to the Dark Was The Night compilation.

We've technically been involved since February... approximately four or so days after it became available on iTunes. After buying it, I played it incessantly. That is, until I didn't anymore. The problem was that other things got in the way, like Ida Maria, The Walkmen, and the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

But then, something happened...

I rode the train home from Stamford, CT a couple weeks ago. It's about a three hour ride, and I was tired, slightly hungover from a weekend's worth of wedding festivities, and a tad reminiscient for the good times that were had. I chose to play the DWTN comp and I listened to it in it's entirety for the first time in a long time. I watched the scenery speed by, I watched the nameless, muted faces board and exit the train; I watched the conductor pace the aisles and the girl next to me sleep. I watched and I listened and all over again I fell in love with the music on this album.

I can't explain what it does to me... it makes me think, it makes me listen, it makes me happy and it makes me sad. Each song just so gracefully marries into the next; each voice carries so lovely a tune that I nearly believe nothing more remarkable could happen, and then it does, and it's not just any voice, but that of a cello.

It's a lengthy musical committment to listen to it all in one sitting, but I swear I would ride the train to Stamford again just to be able to fit it all in to one moment, one uninterrupted chapter, one deep inhalilation... it's that good. It's that impressive. It's that crave-able.

Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment