Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Speaking of Family Vacations...

So tonight while I sat on the couch skimming The New Yorker...

Aw crap. Let's be honest, by "skimming The New Yorker" I mean it sat next to me on the couch while I chatted on facebook.

God, I'm even a bad liar in the blogosphere. Lame.

Anyway. While facebooking and cuddling with The New Yorker, perhaps hoping to retain some of it's genuis by means of osmosis, I overhead a familiar tune that caught my ear, which then peaked my interest enough so that I managed to tear myself away from the world of social networking and glance at the television for the length of a thirty second commercial spot.

The commercial was for an Atlantis family vacation.

The jingle was The Moldy Peaches.

You may be more familiar with this song because of Juno. It's the song that Juno & Bleaker (Bleeker?) sing to one another in the closing scene.

So, really, I like the song, but my issue is this: In the original song, Kimya Dawson sings the lyric "Squinched up your face and did a dance, shook a little turd out of the bottom of your pants" and in the Atlantis commercial, it's something like "We swim with dolphins and maybe go golfin'."

Ahem. Pathetique.

After viewing I was inspired and I decided to transcribe some correspondence.

Dear Atlantis Family Vacations,

Make up your own theme songs. Don't you pay people for that shit? If you're having difficulty filling writing positions, I know a few.

Love,
Katie

And, because they were not operating alone:

Dear Moldy Peaches,

Fucking sellouts.

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment